Documents | Events Calendar | Hours | Directions | Contact | 518-761-8200 742 Bay Rd. Queensbury, NY 12804 Instagram

Petition for Zone Change Process

The Town of Queensbury has a unique approach to reviewing and assessing zone change proposals. In the majority of cases, requests for zone changes are brought forward by property owners who have a particular project planned. For these proposals it makes sense to have a single State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) review.

When a zone change with a subdivision or site plan involved is proposed, the Planning Board acts as the Lead Agency for SEQRA purposes. The Planning Board reviews the zone change as well as the associated project. The Planning Board makes a SEQRA determination for the proposed zone change and the project, and gives the Town Board a recommendation on the zone change only. After a public hearing conducted by the Town Board, the Town Board may take action on the rezoning. If the rezoning is approved, the Planning Board continues with its review and may then take action (approval, approval with conditions, or denial) of the subdivision, site plan, or other review necessary for the project.

For a zone change only, no project involved, the Town Board acts as Lead Agency for SEQRA purposes. This type of review may be appropriate when the Town Board advances a rezoning proposal, or when a parcel is split-zoned, for example. The Planning Board will still provide a recommendation to the Town Board for a request for a zone change only, no project involved. The Town Board then holds a public hearing, performs the SEQRA review, and takes action, in that order.

Process flowcharts can be viewed by clicking on the underlined sections above.


There are different criteria to be applied when analyzing requests for rezoning, environmental review, and project review. Obtaining approval for a zone change does not guarantee that a project will be approved, whether concurrent with the zone change, or in the distant future. Pre-application sessions are required with planning staff to assist you in the process. Please see the Community Development web pages for contact information.