Important Notices: Work Notice: Luzerne Road Culvert Replacement Project LEARN MORE
Home | Documents | Events Calendar | Hours | Directions | Contact | 518-761-8200 742 Bay Rd. Queensbury, NY 12804 Instagram

Marriage Information

Where can a Marriage License be obtained?

To be married in New York State you must obtain your license in New York State. Licenses may be obtained from any town or city clerk in New York State. Both the bride and groom must be present to sign the application for a marriage license. A representative cannot apply for a license on behalf of the bride and groom.

Validity of License?

The license is good twenty four hours after issuance and is valid for sixty days.

Cost of License?

The Town of Queensbury fee for a license is $40.00

What is the age requirement?

If either party is under 14 years of age a marriage license cannot be issued.

If either is 14 or 15 written consent of both parents and a Justice of the Supreme Court or Judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction of the town or city in which the application is made.

If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age they must have written consent of both parents.

If both applicants are 18 no consents are required.

One parent may consent to a minor’s marriage if:

  • A parent has been missing for one year preceding the application.
  • The parents are divorced and the consenting parent was given sole custody of the child when the divorce decree was awarded.
  • The other parent has been judged incompetent.
  • The other parent is deceased.

Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the town or city clerk.

If a notarized affidavit is made before an official outside of the State of New York it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.

What paper must be presented for marriage license?

Certified copies of birth certificates and photo ID’s.

If there have been previous marriages the applicant must provide all divorce decrees or certificate of dissolution.

Who cannot be married?

A marriage cannot take place in New York State between an ancestor or descendant, a brother and sister full or half blood, an uncle and niece or an aunt and nephew regardless of whether or not these person are legitimate or illegitimate offspring.

Where can a marriage take place and who can perform the marriage?

A license obtained in New York State can be used anywhere in New York State.

To be valid the marriage ceremony must be performed by any individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law which include: former mayor, city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants, marriage officer appointed by town or village board, justice or judge of US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the US District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the NYS Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the NYS Supreme Court the Court of Claims, the Family Court, A Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminals Courts of New York City and other courts of record, a village, town or county justice, a member of the clergy or minister who has officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church, a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs, other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

You can apply for a New York Marriage License in Queensbury NY at the Town Clerk Office.