Important Notices: Resident Warning:
Home | Documents | Events Calendar | Hours | Directions | Contact | 518-761-8200 742 Bay Rd. Queensbury, NY 12804 Instagram

Water Service FAQ’s

No, the curb stop at your front property line belongs to the Queensbury Water Department. No one else is authorized to turn on or off your water connection. If you have an emergency call 518-793-8866 to request that someone come to your home to turn the water off.

It is your responsibility to install the copper water service on your property from the property line into your home. You may hire a contractor or do the work yourself.  The service must be type “K” copper and be a minimum of 5 feet deep. The work must be inspected by us prior to backfilling.  Our hours for inspections are Monday – Friday, 7:00 A.M. – 2:30 P.M. Please call 518-793-8866 to request an inspection.


Typical Water Service – Inside

You may apply for a new water service by completing a water tap application at our offices at 823 Corinth Road, Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 4:30. This is a simple one page form that can be completed while you are here. An application for water service greater than 2 inches in diameter is available.

All water must be metered. Backflow protection must be installed on the waterline that supplies your lawn irrigation system. You must install one of the following: an atmospheric-type vacuum breaker, a pressure-type vacuum breaker, or a reduced pressure zone device (RPZ). This will protect both your health and safety as well as your neighbor’s from any cross connection.

Unless you have a meter pit your water meter is located inside your home. Older meters have a wire leading to an outside reader, but the actual measuring device is located inside. To update your meter we must have access to the actual meter not the outside reader.

In some cases, water services are installed by the developer at the time the water main was installed.  In these instances, you must only pay a meter fee.  The fee is based on the size of the water meter according to the following table:




Meter Only

¾” $400.00
1” $600.00
1 ½” $805.00
2” $1,050.00

The tapping fee for a new water service is based on the table below. This fee includes the cost of the tap, copper line from the water main to the property line and the water meter. Customers are responsible for the installation of the water service from the property line into their home, a shut-off (ball) valve, a pressure reducing valve (if necessary), as well as any plumbing changes that may be necessary to install the water meter.





Fee with Meter


Meter Only

¾” Short $1,550.00 $400.00
¾” Long $2,450.00 $400.00
¾” Open Cut Long $3,450.00 $400.00
1” Short $2,000.00 $600.00
1” Long $2,650.00 $600.00
1” Open Cut Long $3,650.00 $600.00
1 ½” Short $2,750.00 $805.00
1 ½” Long $3,950.00 $805.00
1 ½” Open Cut Long $4,950.00 $805.00
2” Short $3,500.00 $1,050.00
2″ Long $4,700.00 $1,050.00
2” Open Cut Long $5,700.00 $1,050.00

The cost for a water meter and installation is included in your water tapping fee. Any upgrade to a radio read style of an existing water meter size is at the Water Department’s expense unless you have damaged the meter or allowed it to freeze and break. If you have damaged the meter, it will be replaced and you will be billed for a replacement.

You will need to bring with you the following information: owner’s name and mailing address, contractor’s name and address, phone number, location of service, nearest intersections, and tax map number. Tax map numbers typically can be found on property deed information or building permits.

In some Queensbury Wastewater Districts, you are billed for sewer service based on your water meter readings. Unless you have arranged to have a dedicated sewer meter installed you will be billed quarterly based on all water consumption, including water that you use to irrigate your lawn. You may arrange to have us install a special meter, in addition to your existing water meter, that will be used only for sewer billing purposes (i.e. consumption within your home). This meter is installed by us at your expense. Please call 518-745- 5589, Monday – Friday, between 8:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. with questions or to arrange for a pre-plumbing inspection for a dedicated meter.


In the Queensbury Water District all water use must be metered. Since 1999, the town has been installing water meters with a radio read device. This allows us to directly read the meter from the street. To upgrade the water meter to a radio read device there is no charge to the property owner. The water meter is connected to a transmitter that we supply. The transmitter is mounted to the register of the meter. Please call 518-745-5582, Monday – Friday, between 8:00A.M. – 4:30 P.M. to arrange for the installation of a radio read meter.


Radio Read Device

You must have a water shut-off valve immediately after the water service enters your home. This valve is your protection in the event you must shut off the water in an emergency. Any new or replacement shut-off valve must be a ball valve.

In some areas of the Town of Queensbury the pressure in the water mains may exceed 130 psi. The New York State plumbing code requires a pressure reducing valve in any situation in excess of 80 psi. This pressure reducer will protect your plumbing as well as our water meter. If you have a question whether your area needs a pressure reducing valve, please call 518-745-5582, Monday – Friday, between 8:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. See exceptions